(urth) Vodalus & the Old Autarch

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Tue Aug 10 08:19:45 PDT 2010

Maybe Vodalus never met his agent at all.

In fact, given that he never got suspicious even after dining on Thea, who must also have known the Autarch, I think this is the only real possibility.

- Gerry Quinn

  From: Mr Thalassocrat

  Recent posts about what Sev might or should have discovered about his mother/sister/himself at the end of BOTNS remind me of something which has bugged me for a long time: How come Vodalus didn't know that his agent was actually the old Autarch?

  Thecla-in-Sev recognises the old Autarch; his profile is on the coinage; clearly his appearance isn't some kind of big secret.

  But Vodalus doesn't make the conenction. How likely is that?

  I lean towards thinking this is just a narrative glitch, because I can't think up a text-based explanation for it.

  Yes, it's easy enough to think up stories along the lines of Vodalus never having been at court, never meeting with old-Autarch-as-agent in the presence of anybody who has, not drawing the connection from the coinage - and so on. But this seems very thin to me - does anybody have anything better?