(urth) Sham War

Dave Lebling dlebling at hyraxes.com
Mon Aug 9 15:49:30 PDT 2010

Gene Wolfe seems well-acquainted with his religion, and therefore would
have no difficulty answering the question. He answers it himself in
TBotLS. There are many events in life and history which would trouble a
believer, and I doubt that he is unsophisticated enough to be overcome
by them, although he may ruminate now and then on the question of God's
Plan, or on theodicy. TBotNS is, looked at the right way, five volumes
on those topics.

In any case, it is quite clear that the hieros, hierogrammates and even
Tzadziel are not God, although they fill some of the roles God fills in
our universe. The question "who would Tzadziel want to win the Ascian
war?" is not at all equivalent to "who would God want to win the Korean
War?"

-- Dave Lebling, aka vizcacha