(urth) Boatman as Inire

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Aug 9 09:26:25 PDT 2010

That is how I see Inire. He's "gone native," but that doesn't mean Avatar-style or even Colonel Kurtz. He's more like the English officers who lived among Indians and had multiple wives or at least multiple bastards. (Not to suggest anything specifically about his sexual proclivities, but there it is.)

If anything, if the Cumaean and Inire should have beautiful forms but do not, this suggests a kind of fall or at least abandonment of something, if not exactly "wings," in favor of living among the mortals. But this scheme doesn't work itself out so easily either.