(urth) Sham War

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 06:16:56 PDT 2010

  On 8/8/2010 11:09 PM, Lee Berman wrote:
> Regardless of Mr. Wolfe's personal political leanings, I have a difficult
> time thinking (based on his writing) that he feels God and Jesus wanted the
> USA and democracy to win and N. Korea and communism to lose and that this
> was God's significant battlefield where He would vanquish His enemies, etc.

I'm not so sure he would be so cosmopolitan about the Korean War as this
implies. Seeing what North Korea has become, knowing what the Soviet
Union was like and what happened 25 years later under Mao, I'm not so
sure _I_ feel this way and I have far less skin invested in that war
than Mr. Wolfe.

However, the one word that describes the meta-plot of the BotNS and
UotNS is "uber-determined". There is no doubt in my mind that if
Hierogrammates wanted the Commonwealth to liberate Ascia--or if they had
wanted to undermine their government--they could have done so. They had
Time travel, mirrors, and other near-divine technology at their
disposal. They had conquered death and matter. The war continued only
because it was a minor annoyance to them (at least), or it served their
purpose in some way.

u+16b9