(urth) Boatman as Inire

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Sun Aug 8 23:55:06 PDT 2010

Lee Berman wrote:
> What would happen if a Hierogrammate were interupted in its evolution and
> did not complete the journey to angelic being? We are told the process
> involved uncountable billions suffering and dying, leaving ineradicable
> memories of pain and blood. Would it be so surprising that some of those
> billions rebelled and refused to complete the process? Where might such an
> interupted, fallen being go?

You're really reaching, Lee. Almost by definition, the billions who suffered
and died in the process had no choice in the matter. And if the process had
not been completed, they would not have become Hierogrammates. Besides, we
are explicitly told that when the manvantara in which the Hieros had formed
the Hierogrammates was destroyed, the Hierogrammates had escaped to Yesod,
and that of all the works of the mighty Hieros of that manvantara, only the
Hierogrammates remained (URTH, XIX, 137-38). That puts an end to that
notion, I hope. The death of a universe is about as final as it gets.

> Roy if I remember correctly you place a lot of stock in this exchange:
>
> >Severian- "...the Cumaean, she was a Hierodule, like you. Father Inire
told
> >me."
>
> >Famulimus and Barbatus nodded.
>
> I can't remember if I've mentioned my reservations. This exchange could
mean that
> yes, Father Inire and The Cumaean are hierodules. Simple. End of story.
>
> But I consider that perhaps Famulimus and Barbatus' nods only concur that
this is
> what Father Inire tells his Autarchs.

Come on. That exchange took place in Apu-Punchau's tomb *after* Severian had
brought the new sun and Ushas was an established fact. The game was over;
there was no longer any point in deceptions.

> We find no explanation for why Hierodules are tall, young, beautiful
people who
> speak gravely, move gracefully and speak with utmost respect for Severian.
> Contrast them with The Cumaean and Inire who are short, old, ugly creepy
people
> who speak harshly or a bit insouciantly to Severian (if we may take
Inire's note as
> speech).
>
> I demand an explanation for the difference. And a very helpful one has
been to
> consider that Inire and Cumaean are not really Hierodules but something
else,
> rather different. I just can't see Barbatus and Famulimus scaring little
girls
> with mirrors, mucking around with Agia, consorting with witches or
inviting people
> into their cave, never to return. I can't help but think there is
something wrong
> with the Hierodule picture for I and C.

I can't help that. The text is what it is. As I've said before, not all
Hierodules need be of the same species or race; a holy slave is more a title
than a particular species.

-Roy