(urth) Boatman as Inire

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sun Aug 8 02:28:21 PDT 2010

From: "John Watkins" <john.watkins04 at gmail.com>
>I was joking.
>
>>> Presumably Tzadkiel could take the form of one of a spermatozoon, maybe
>>> even
>>
>> That's.....quite a presumption. Textev?

My proposal about Severian becoming his own grandfather by way of
time-travelling sperm was kind of a joke.... but to be honest I find it at
least as plausible as quite a few of the proposals I've seen seriously put
forward!

It has a certain symmetry to it.  It fits reasonably well with Severian's
known powers, which at the time of his relationship with Dorcas were not
under his conscious control.  It also gives a rational explanation for the
subplot in which Dorcas turns out to be Severian's grandmother (without
bringing in a load of unrelated incest stuff for which there is not that
much in the way of textual evidence).

[I wonder did such an idea inspire the makers of Futurama, in one episode of
which Fry saves the Earth from the brain monsters because he is immune to
their powers as a consequence of being his own grandfather?  Or did they get
this idea elsewhere, and if so where?]

- Gerry Quinn