(urth) Boatman as Inire

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sat Aug 7 04:15:36 PDT 2010

On 8/7/2010 6:04 AM, Lee Berman wrote:
> My inference regarding Father Inire is likewise inspired by a feeling that we are supposed to
> figure out a mystery regarding this guy. There is textual evidence too numerous to mention that
> the aliens in this story are analagous to our pagan gods, monsters and angels. Many, many pagan
> gods, monsters and angel myths describe the ability to shape change. *Father Inire is an alien.*
>
> So the suggestion that Inire might be a shape changer is hardly illogical or completely
> unsupported by the text. Shapeshifting is invoked numerous times in this story. Wolfe uses
> shapeshifting characters explicitly in some of his other stories. I don't see how one could claim
> the idea of Father Inire as shapeshifter is impossible to have been on Gene Wolfe's mind as he
> wrote this story.

Tzadkiel overtly changes shape, and the armigette becomes a bird in one
of the lazarette stories. Can you refresh my memory about where else
shapeshifting is referenced?

And do Inire's various roles call for actual shapeshifting, or some
facial disguise and a shot of cortisone so he's no longer quite so bent
over?

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >