(urth) seeking the truth

Ryan Dunn ryan at liftingfaces.com
Thu Aug 5 21:09:42 PDT 2010

On Aug 5, 2010, at 11:36 PM, Jeff Wilson wrote:

> My guess would be that the examiner is the crown's representative, the way medical examiners / coroners determine the cause of death, and that a fulgurator who uses "lightning" for divination, is a polygraph examiner writ large.

From "Roman and European Mythologies" by Yves Bonnefoy, 1991:

"The observation and interpretation of lightning bolts was left to a special priest called a fulgurator."

Apparently there were gods who threw lightning bolts from the heavens down to earth, and a fulgurator would investigate where they struck alleging them to be divinations. There were good and bad bolts, public and private ones, bolts that gave advice, others that gave orders. Some fulgurators would perform purification rites at the lightning strike sites, setting small stones down where the energy was said to remain trapped under the surface.

...ryan