(urth) St Ignatius of Loyola and the Cumaen

Jane Delawney jane_delawney at sky.com
Thu Aug 5 17:55:11 PDT 2010

On 03/08/10 12:31, Lee Berman wrote:
> I think that is interesting. Some other parallels between Serverian and
> St. Ignatius..
>
> - he was in the hospital due to a leg injury incurred serving
> as a soldier
>
> -he had a spiritual journey filled with strife and trouble.
>
> - he called up an earthquake and also a storm at sea
>
> - he healed the sick including a woman's withered arm.
>
> Ignatius could have been a partial inspiration for Wolfe.
So could his Order - 'black' (OK fuligin) clothing, prohibition of
marriage, primacy of absolute obedience ('Torturers Obey') and their
method of selecting recruits: other than boy babies born within their
Tower, the Seekers of Truth and Penitence will take and educate male
children who come to them (presumably with their condemned parent/s) who
are able to stand beneath a certain metal bar which projects at about 3
ft. ('the height of a man's groin' - or similar, I don't have the book
in front of me right now) from a bulkhead.

'Give me a child before he is seven years old and he is mine for life'.

jd