(urth) Lamarck, Wolfe and Exultants

Jack Smith jack.smith.1946 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 08:43:12 PDT 2010

I believe there are a number of references to Severian being tall,  and he's
around 6' and his mother is probably an exultant.  I think Urth's common
folk are shorter than people today.  But you only have to go back two
hundred years or so to have average heights 6 or 8 inches less than today.
 This is mostly due to better nutrition.  On Urth with its dying sun and
spent resources, we would expect nutrition levels to be worse and people to
be shorter.

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Ryan Dunn <ryan at liftingfaces.com> wrote:

> Does this mean that common folk should be notably shorter then? Severian's
> height, were he on our planet, in most Western cultures, wouldn't raise an
> eyebrow high enough to stir thoughts of exulted blood.
>
> I know his high cheekbones also indicates he may be some sort of Urthian
> bastard royalty, but I still wonder about the size of non exultant people of
> the Commonwealth.
>
> ...ryan
>
> On Aug 5, 2010, at 6:22 AM, Jack Smith <jack.smith.1946 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Exultants could result from Darwinian evolution alone, without any
> genetic engineering.   According to Wolfe, Severian is about 6' or 6'1", and
> Thecla is a head taller (around 7' or 7'1").  Male exultants seem to be
> about 7'6" to 8'.    Such heights are uncommon for us, but still within the
> range of the possible.  The tallest NBA player is 7'6" and the tallest WNBA
> player is 7'2".

Best wishes,
Jack