(urth) Severian and the corridor of time.

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Tue Aug 3 18:09:46 PDT 2010

> Is the corridor of time outside of time/space and only needs the power
> from
> the New Sun to access it

We don't know for sure. The business about moving in a direction not seen
before suggests that movement om  higher spatial dimension is involved.
The power of the New Sun may not be needed in general, but it may be that
*Severian* needs the power of the White Fountain to achieve that movement.
All the other folks that travel the Corridors seem to do it in ways that
are light-related in some way (mirrors, reflective sails) or the travelers
themselves are light-related (the Green Man, the Hierdules presumably make
both the time-spanning saucers, the White Fountain, and the sun of Yesod),
except for Juturna, which is why I think she is secretly related to
Severian.

> but then he should be able to travel to anytime
> he
> wants, even before the new sun was created.
> I am just looking at someone else's input on this.

Once in the Corridors, he may be able to travel any distance on either
Fountain-power or human muscle power, and then step down into the normal
world of four dimensions. But without the White Fountain or a similar
power source to draw on, he can't go back up to the Corridors. It may be
that he decides to write URTH at all because with the White Fountain
contained, concealed, or even consumed by the new sun, he is stuck in the
early time centuries of Ushas , and is making the best of his forced
retirement from saviorhood.