(urth) Which character from BotNS do you identify with most?

Jack Smith jack.smith.1946 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 11:32:44 PDT 2010

I think I always identify with the main character of a novel, especially if
the main character is also the narrator.   But identifying with Severian is
too obvious and boring.   So I'll answer a slightly different question:
 "Which character would you like to be, if you could choose to live on
Urth?"

I would want to be Dr. Talos.  He gets to exercise his creativity by writing
and staging his play.  He lives on his own terms and by his own wits.
 Baldanders may be his master, but Talos is a valuable expert, not a lackey.
  On the other hand, he's not really human...

Best wishes,
Jack

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Ryan Dunn <ryan at liftingfaces.com> wrote:

> Courtesy Josh, but an exercise to consider, and got me to thinking...
>
> "Which character in TBoTNS do you identify with and why?"
>
> I'll go first. I most identify with DROTTE, because I have functioned as a
> leader most of my life, from being the oldest child in a single-parent
> family to creative directing teams of people as a professional and
> everywhere in-between. But of course there are other leaders in this story,
> and I'm not prepared to identify with Severian that much. And Vodalus is
> above my pay grade.
>
> So I consider my style of leadership more akin to Drotte's, meaning a good
> balance of sarcasm and honesty, and a knack of garnering an understated
> respect from those around and beneath you.
>
> ...ryan

Best wishes,
Jack