(urth) Serpents and Undines

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sun Aug 1 11:04:58 PDT 2010

It does make sense. The Byzantine system had no Pope, and therefore no
division between Pope and HRE. It could also be argued that the Turkish
sultans were truly successors to the Eastern Roman Emperor as much as
successors to the caliphs, so the dual institution was there in effect,
even if the ERE was not formally defined as "Christ's vicar on Earth."

So perhaps the autarch should be considered as such, whether there is
textual evidence for it or not.