(urth) Seawrack's name

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 07:36:29 PDT 2010

>> James Wynn: Whatever name Horn heard, I'll find it hard to believe it didn't start
>> with an "s" in the first syllable and end with a K or "chi" sound.
> Lee - Hm...sounds cryptic. As though you had an answer in mind. Spill the beans or I'll be forced to assume your theory is that Seawrack and Mother are living backward in time
> and the name Horn heard was Kypris.   ;- ).

Hmm...like the sound of that idea. I wish it were true.

No. I really don't have an answer. But I know what I'm looking for: When
people hear "something that sounds like", they hear the first and last
sounds. The word we're looking for either starts with and S or starts
with a vowel and the first consonant is an S. It ends with voiceless
velar plosive (such as k) or a voiceless uvular fricative (such as chi).
I'd also prefer that it use a schwa sound in the last syllable or
something close to that.

Thus, while /syrinx/ works on a lot of levels (including Seawrack's
singing), I'm unhappy with "inx" ending because it actually ends with an
S sound and it's vowel is the "ing" sound. Still, I think it is the most
solid possibility suggested so far. And if Wolfe had other reasons for
the term /seawrack/ it would be close enough for him.

u+15b9