(urth) Seawrack's name

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 28 20:27:21 PDT 2010

>Antonio Marques: I don't know whether this has been pointed out before, but it is a
>fact that 'Seawrack' and 'Scylla' are almost equal as names go. Or, at least, the name
>misheard as 'Seawrack' could easily be a derivate of the name
>misconstrued(?) as 'Scylla'...Yes, I know I've been implying that the greek pronunciation
>of a name such as Scylla would be something like ['skulla] 'SKOOL luh'.

I hope I am not being insulting in noting that the English pronunciation of Scylla usually
involves a silent "c" like scissors or scintillating. This would bring Scylla's
pronunciation even closer to Seawrack.

But Horn is very familiar with the female name "Scylla" from his religious studies and I
can't see how he could hear that name and feel the need to  convert it to "seawrack"

Apologies for redundant posts, but for me the even closer similarity of "shipwreck" to
"seawrack" gnaws at me as an intended association.

We know that the purpose of the mythological sirens was to cause shipwrecks. Moreover these
quotes suggest to me that was Seawrack's original purpose also: