(urth) Severian's Journey: Happenstance or Masterplan?

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 16:04:40 PDT 2010

  On 8/19/2010 4:53 PM, Lee Berman wrote:
> The fact that Severian
> has the power to resurrect the dead when Tzadkiel does not possess this power
> suggests the presence of such superior beings.

One quibble. We use dogs to sniff out drugs and bombs because we lack
that ability ourselves. The Hierofoos are the ideal imagined by the
Hieros. But they are not necessarily the superset of them in every
possible way and in every possible mutation. In fact, I suppose that the
Hierofoos really don't really understand Sev's powers in a
reverse-engineering sense. Which is why they manipulate his activities
rather than just creating a HieroSev for each mantanvara.

u+16b9