(urth) Path of Air

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 18 11:14:22 PDT 2010

>Jeff Wilson- This sort of transcendental architecture may be more suitable for
>research and monitoring than meddling with causality.

Could be. Still we see someone ostensibly from Severian's past there in his distant
future.

>I'm in agreement on the existence of physical corridors that bridge time
>and space like the Corridors of Time, but I see no evidence that
>Valeria's tower itself is a time-bender.

Why is it called the Atrium of Time then? There is no time travel there in the Atrium.

>you get the same effect if the tower is entirely in the past, or if the
>tunnels curve through space so that the tower seems to be in one place
>rather than another.

I suppose. But if that were true then Valeria's tower is like nothing else on Urth.
By noticing the similarity of Valeria's tower to the Last House, with its invisible
top in the future, we at least have some basis of comparison for guesswork. And, as
previously mentioned, it gives a reason for the name Path of Air.