(urth) Path of Air

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 06:36:17 PDT 2010

Lee Berman wrote (18-08-2010 12:58):

> I think Valeria remains a possible candidate as Severian's missing twin
> sister. The wife of Roman emperor valentinianus was named Valeria
> Severa.

This I think is worth exploring.

- When Severian goes to Yesod, Valeria remains in his place for decades. Why
would this be tolerated? We're told of no similar thing in the history of
the Autarchy.

- What's Severian's attraction to Valeria? He met her when both were
reasonably young. Then years pass and suddenly upon becoming Autarch he
realises he must go get her. Why?

- I don't know what to make of the names. The -ian in Severian's name was
sometimes used in Rome to indicate adoption. Otoh Valeria would simply be
the name of a woman born to perhaps the most noble family in roman history,
while at the same time one that generally stood for the rights of lower
strata of society. So, the names seem to fit, but do they tell us anything new?