(urth) Inhumi in the Whorl

Mr Thalassocrat thalassocrat08 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 03:33:01 PDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 7:11 AM, James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Well, they are there for *him*. Because he knows where the clues are and
>> he knows where the clues are *not*. I'm sure he thinks it's perfectly
>> obvious who that guy was with barnacles who climb into Horn's boat...if you
>> are just paying attention.

And what the markings on Seawrack's rings are. And who the girl hiding under
the sofa in Hoof's (Hide's?) dream is. And how SilkHorn got to Green in the
cliff scene. And why does Horn's description of Mucor remind Seawrack of
herself? And ... so on!

I'm convinced he does have a low, sadistic streak to his character.

On the barnacle guy: Horn speculates that maybe it was some Neighbor
worshipper of the Mother, to whom she had granted eternal life. Maybe that's
actually the case, and the barnacles are part of whatever bio-mechanism she
used to do it. On Urth, gigantism; on Blue, something to do with barnacle
symbiosis.

Maybe the bigger mystery is why he comes onboard Horn's boat - what's he
looking for? - and how Seawrack seems to control him so easily. I've always
wondered whether perhaps the Mother engineered Seawrack from a Neighbor
- perhaps originally the barnacle-guy's partner??? She seems to know a lot
about Neighbors, including their language (her songs, for example).