(urth) Madregot & Yesod Redux

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 17 18:22:30 PDT 2010

>Dave Lebling- When I first read SotT, when it first came out, my interpretation was
>that references to the Conciliator were to Jesus. I am not 100% certain
>even today that when he wrote the original four books Wolfe didn't feel
>the same way.

>David Stockhoff- I didn't put the question well. You said, "It would have been nice to
>get Jesus worked into the story somehow, however tangentially."That's what I don't see as
>ruled out.

I also saw some echo of Jesus in the Conciliator on first reading. I remain convinced that
Urth never had a Jesus nor a Flood and that's why it is the way it is and why it needed
Severian.

(FWIW, Jesus doesn't seem a strong presence on Saint Croix or Sainte Anne either..I think
Wolfe was going through a dark period in his life in the 70's)

Anyway, the absence of Jesus makes His presence felt through the story anyway. But it
would be nice if we knew where he was going to eventually turn up and if it is anywhere
in the story, I'd say the most likely place would be Yesod, after the Hierogrammates
finish building all the planets and stars including Earth and Sol. If we have to bend
what we think is logical time to have him, then so be it.