(urth) The Two Katharines

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 07:21:42 PDT 2010

Jeff Wilson wrote (16-08-2010 03:20):
> On 8/15/2010 7:35 PM, António Pedro Marques wrote:
>>> but the Holy Katharine maid retains her maid-like appearance for at
>>> least 15-20 years. This kind of youth for a human being is unknown in
>>> the Book.
>>
>> Isn't she just a dummy?
>
> In SHADOW XI, Severian details how he has helped haul out and stow away
> the props each year, and is familiar with their true nature: the snakes
> and flowers on the wheel are paper, the blade of execution is wood and
> tinsel. But he does not know who she is or where she comes from, so she's
> not just another prop.
>
> She could be a salvaged animatronic or full robot in partial disrepair
> (she seems to have minimal mobilty and vocabulary).

I can even picture Hammerstone telling people to do some similar trick on
him, just for the kicks.

> But she also seems to resemble Severian's mother.

In that she's not blonde... we know so little of Severian's mother. Heck, my
current next-desk coworker resembles 3 or 4 other girls I've seen somewhere.

My impression regarding Wolfe's 'puzzles' is the following: everything may
well have significance, but if some line on inquiry doesn't yield broadly
convincing results in a relatively short time, then it's probably a dead-end.