(urth) Standard Wolfean Riddle

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 16 07:20:44 PDT 2010

>Antonio Marques: I read James's effort, but I just don't find it is a possible reading
>of what's there.

Is understanding Wolfe a scientific or Sherlock Holmesian process, where the most minimally
possible answer is taken as the best working hypothesis. Or is it a religious process in
which we must be be convincingly converted or immersed in the gospel from childhood to
develop faith? Different for different people?

>Why and how could God send a redeemer to Earth but not to other parts of his creation which
>are in as much need of one? What would even be the point of a universe without Incarnation?

Is this the explanation for Silk and/or SilkHorn?

> From a Christian perspective I find it pretty depressing to think that
> after tens of thousands of years of Christ influence Earth would turn out
> as bleak as Urth.

>Aren't we heading straight there, only after 2 thousand years?

Not in my opinion. Our human penchant for pessimism and the mass media's compulsion to
feed that penchant paints a very bleak picture of our current Earth. Our daily
conversations are peppered with warnings and complaints about how bad things are
"these days".

To me it is a false picture. More people are living on earth free from hunger, free from
war, free from pestilence, free from torture than has ever been true in the history of our planet.
In the past to see such things one had only to peek out of one's doorway. Now, with relatively few
exceptions, we need to hire teams of reporters chasing around the nation and the globe to
feed our appetite for the best/worst examples of such nastiness.

Okay, political speech over, soapbox put away. bsharp out ;- )