(urth) Patera Incus

Mo Holkar lists at ukg.co.uk
Mon Aug 16 02:53:29 PDT 2010

At 00:10 16/08/2010, Lee wrote:
> >Mo Holkar: Just on a zoological note: a fulmar is not a type of
> gull, but a type
> >of petrel. Apart from both being birds, fulmars and gulls are not
> >related at all.
>
>Well, they are both seabirds comprising a smaller much smaller
>subset than that which would include owls and ostriches.

Although they are in that sense more closely culturally associated
with gulls than are owls and ostriches, really they are no more
closely related to them than those other birds are. "Seabirds" is not
a genetic relationship grouping, just a behavioural coincidence of habitat.

(Of course, Wolfe may have just been intending a cultural association
of this sort in Fulmar's name, as it might have been difficult to
find an actual gull-based name that didn't include the obvious word "gull".)

At 19:12 15/08/2010, James wrote:
>Hmm..Interesting, since fulmar means "foul gull".

That is certainly its etymology, although linguists will give you a
long debate on whether etymology and meaning are necessarily strongly
linked ;-) It's reasonable that the ancient Norse thought fulmars
were a type of gull, as they do look superficially fairly similar. I
would be surprised if Wolfe made the same mistake... although see
parentheses above.

best,

Mo

# ~ # ~ #