(urth) Patera Incus

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sun Aug 15 08:54:29 PDT 2010

From: James Wynn

> The valet had been altered by Incus. Thus, "satisfaction" at asking how long since he had received his wages.

No, he was alered by Fulmar with the help of Incus. "The valet had been a most creditable little project, and one Fulmar could never have brought to its wholly successful conclusion without his help."

> Therefore, having already seen the chem and knowing full well what the results were, seeing him again was just a side issue, as Incus said. And the chem that Bittersweet would use was a male too.
"He had wanted very much to see the old porter with _his_ skullplate and faceplate removed."

I don't see what the gender of either chem has to do with anything.

>Well, Incus was trying to be discreet, but not about that. The message that the patera is attempting to convey must have been attempted in both letters. That the letter might be intercepted  was a concern, but the frustration of getting dense Fulmar to understand something he didn't know was the primary concern.

The message was: "I can't make it tonight."  The rest is chit-chat.

And why would Incus be planting clues of this kind anyway?  He really wanted to see Bittersweet's porter, that is made clear in the text. Why does he want to make puzzles for Fulmar?

- Gerry Quinn