(urth) Patera Incus

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 23:37:39 PDT 2010

> Lee-   a brief comment on  your Patera Incus post. Thanks for posting it. It does
> seem like a similar process to the one in which I identify Father Inire in various guises. There
> are just a constellation of tiny clues. None by itself means much, but together they become hard to
> ignore. You know SOMETHING is going on. And I like the conclusion that Patera Incus is a woman. It
> seems very Wolfean to me. My intuitive impression, that he was a secretly a gay priest, is not such a
> shocking revelation, even in the real world. And not one worthy of subtle clues in a Wolfe book.

Well, it wouldn't be much of a secret and it is hard to imagine that
either the Charter or Vironese society would care much. Spider certainly
doesn't bother to hide his preferences. Incus is pretty open in accusing
Gulo of having homosexual inclinations.

But for a woman to be an augur. Well, that would be unacceptable.  That
would bring more than a handful of problems if it were
revealed...especially with Incus's extra small hands.

u+16b9