(urth) Wolfe's Attitude toward his Readers

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 18:31:04 PDT 2010

Lee Berman wrote:

> An interesting thought about our real lives and ourselves. I feel pretty
> comfortable and trusting in most aspects of my life and myself. I'm far more
> trusting in my real life than I am reading a Gene Wolfe book.  But I know
> there are some who seeth with paranoia and mistrust beneath their surface.
> Could Mr. Wolfe have a streak of this beneath his genial exterior?

I don't think so. It's just that in your life and yourself you've immersed
in context. You automagically do all the corrections and substitutions and
inferences and what not, so you don't notice it. Wolfe has the rare ability
to see through it and presents the reader with unfamiliar settings where all
such corrections are filtered out.