(urth) Wolfe's Attitude toward his Readers

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sat Aug 14 05:47:56 PDT 2010

On 8/14/2010 7:10 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> "Ora faltig teru dres, ent oru klen rebalen tafru."

> I made it to seem pronouncable.and have a plausible distribution of word lengths etc.,
> even an echo between 'ora' and 'oru'. But it means nothing!

Which is it?

I mean, it can't have zero meaning if it reflects your opinion of what
lexical characteristics are believable by excluding sequences that fail
to convey that sense. This includes all kinds of contextual information
about Indo-European roots and human cognition.

The above "dres" is a fine candidate for "three", for instance. If you
had plenty of time on your hands and a sufficient command of what had
been actually used as words at some point, you could construct a
notional language that included the above phrase that would regardless
be as detailed and meaningful as a natural one. Speak friend, and enter!

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >