(urth) The Key to the Universe

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 13 10:37:47 PDT 2010

>Jeff Wilson-

>I think Yesod *can be* cyclic. If it is a morally neutral and normally
>empty hyperspace that is given a spiritual character by the Hierarchy
>that dwells there now, when they move on the pocket of Briah-formed
>space around the machine-planet will dissipate or collapse, leaving a
>void for the next Gnab-fleeing refugees to discover and create their own
>Briah-formed pocket continuum to settle in.
>This would explain why there are said to be multiple created worlds
>there, but we only see the one machine-planet with its envelope of air
>and simulated sun - the old, streaky stars may be little pinprick
>wormholes to other pocket continuums in Yesod, perhaps containing the
>remains of judgment planets for Briah

Jeff, in a previous post I wondered if hyperspace could have suns and
planets. My understanding was that matter and energy don't really exist
there (hence the meadow and brook of Madregot are not real, just metaphors
to allow Severian to understand what he sees).

My conclusion was that Yesod cannot be hyperspace because it contains
planets and suns and gravity, etc. You asked me for text citation of the
Yesod planets and suns and I meant to get to that. But now it appears
you have done this yourself. Happy I can scratch that off my to-do list!
:- )

I still like to view Yesod as being the next universe in succession to
Briah and as our own universe. What actually is the difference between a
"simulated" sun and constructed planets and the "real" ones?

Using my model it means our Earth (and Jesus' Earth) was constructed by
the hard-working holy angelic servants of The Increate that we see, not
just by mindless physical forces. I feel this is in accord with Gene Wolfe's
combined religious and scientific thinking and philosophy.