(urth) The Two Coins...

Ryan Dunn ryan at liftingfaces.com
Fri Aug 13 09:44:52 PDT 2010

On Aug 13, 2010, at 12:34 PM, Roy C. Lackey wrote:

> I knew better than to get involved. <g> This is the title of the relevant
> chapter in SHADOW: "The Autarch's Face". That should be enough, I hope. As
> for the flying ship on the reverse side of the coin, the Old Autarch had
> gone to Yesod the same way Sev would.
>
> BTW, if I had to guess who had dropped a false coin at the play that night,
> it would be Hildegrin. Somewhere, IIRC, he said that he had been keeping an
> eye on Sev for Vodalus, and Vodalus was shown to pass bad coins.

You're right, I'm wrong. I stand persuaded. I was trying to make a hexagonal peg fit in a triangular hole. Which makes Severian's moment in the mausoleum more of just textbook foreshadowing, and not a time overlap crazy thing, I suppose.

Hildegrin... hadn't thought of that. And Hethor may not work either, since Severian has a way of telling us every time someone conspicuous is in a crowd, or in the room, or nearby, or encountered him earlier.

Regarding face on coin, duh you're right. Again overthinking. The coin grease and density probably gave it away, totally.

Thanks Roy.

...ryan