(urth) Hierogrammates, Briah and Yesod

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 07:02:11 PDT 2010

> Lee to Tony - You probably do not intend it, but your assertions on
> how your hyoptheses have support do not sit well with many. It's not
> the hypotheses themselves, it's both your insistence that they have
> textual support - where most view at bestest a tiny possibility that
> they aren't outright excluded, i.e., they may be possible readings,
> but not certainly the 'supported' ones - and your occasional dropping
> of wild interpretations as if they were obvious and universally
> accepted. Then you don't really like it when you're called on that.
> That's what comes across - at best - as sanctimonius.

Lee,

As someone who has faced IMO not-always-fair-play from objectors to his
exegeses, this is just the way it is. Those most likely to give your
models and explanations the most careful consideration are also those
most likely to *hate* your models and explanations at a visceral as well
as rational level. Which comes first, the visceral or the rational? I
think I know when _I_ face these objectors, so there's that.

Here's bottom line: If you propose a new explanation regarding the
*facts* in a Wolfe story, the SOP is that the first people you will hear
from are those that want to vomit at the very thought of it and have a
list as long as your arm why. You just have to take it. It's okay to
show when someone is just sniping from the bushes or not playing fair in
their arguments. But to impugn their motives for making the arguments is
not helpful.

It is really unlikely that you will hear much from anyone who finds your
explanation appealing. Either they thought the same themselves already
and have nothing to add, or they don't really know enough details to
help.  I think it is pretty plain that Patera Incus is female. But I've
only had one person remark on that assertion approving. And that,
off-list and years after I explained it. I don't expect your mileage to
vary much.

For the record, I _do_ find your Yesod theory to be viscerally
appealing. I think the concept of "The Conservation of Justice" would be
more coherent under your model. I think the New Sun sub-creation would
be less airy-fairy if it were true. However, at a rational level, I just
don't see how --taking the text as a whole-- I can get there.

u+16b9