(urth) Hierogrammates, Briah and Yesod

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Fri Aug 13 03:51:26 PDT 2010

From: "António Marques" <entonio at gmail.com>
> DAVID STOCKHOFF wrote:

>> I agree that the homologue interpretation is valid. I don't see any
>> confirming reason for it outside an analysis of Tzadkiel's remarks. All
>> there is, is pushing the explanation farther and farther away: well,
>> there's ANOTHER universe with ANOTHER race, and THEY created YESOD, and
>
> Which actually is said in the text. Of course, the text may mean
> otherwise.
>
> You and Lee seem interested in not having more than two universes, Briah
> and Yesod. Others see little sense in that idea.

I can accept that Wolfe was playing with the idea of multiple cycles, but at
the same time I think of this a possibility rather than the only true
reading of the text.

Also, I wonder whether talk of more than one Briah is really meaningful.  We
have alternate timelines such as that of Ash and the Green Man, which could
be said to refer to two Briahs splitting from one root.  We have other time
shenannigans.  Yet nobody uses this to argue for multiple Briahs, although
the Briah of Ash is quite different from the Briah of the Green Man, at
least as far as Urth is concerned.

Okay, we can hypothesise that each Briah is a bundle of related timelines
that don't connect much to the set of timelines bundled together as a
different Briah, except at the start and finish of each Briah.  Maybe that
makes sense.  But I'm not sure such detailed hypothethical cosmologies are a
great jumping off point for further analysis.  Even physicists are running
out of useful detectable signals that can distinguish between different
cosmological hypotheses these days.  We should recognise that this is likely
for analysts of BotNS also!

- Gerry Quinn