(urth) Brook Madregot runs between

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 12 10:06:53 PDT 2010

From: "António Pedro Marques" <entonio at gmail.com>
> For all the identification of Pas with Pan, I don't see what the
> similarity between them is in the sexual regard. (Well, Typhon was naked
> when Severian met him. But shrivelled, he says.)

>I seem to recall that the exercise of power perked him up a bit.
>- Gerry Quinn

Erm, yes. Typhon very strangely gets an erection and "nurses" it while talking to
Severian. He also says that when he re-establishes his multi-planet empire, he will
be sent tribute in the form of young men and women.

In Long Sun, the painting of Pas/Typhon depicts him "nursing" *two* erections, one for each
hand, as he surveys his court, a writhing sexual orgy of worshippers with phallic symbolism
popping up all over the place.

--

Perhaps unrelated, but various reptile species are endowed with two penises. Greek
mythological  monster Typhon was a multi-headed mandragora on his top half and a snake down

I have proposed, at times, that the name Pas is a nickname which could be derived from the
Babylonian god of desert storms, Pazuzu. This was mostly a bird-like god but he was quite
well known for his "serpentine penis". It is also the name for the fallen angel/demon in The
Exorcist, a book I can't imagine Gene Wolfe did not read.