(urth) Standard Wolfean riddle

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 12 07:35:25 PDT 2010

>David Stockhoff- On the use of the word "cognates":
>I think this is a standard low-grade Wolfean riddle. If a Wolfe
>character says to a narrator, "I once met a man very like you, who had
>the same look and carried himself the same way, and held his cigarette
>just like that, but he called himself by a different name then," how
>would you interpret that?

>"Once upon a time, there was a race of beings with two arms and two legs
>who called themselves Men. They were very like you, with the same hopes
>and dreams, but they lived far away from here, both in space and in
>time." How would you interpret that?

>I read both as strong hints of the obvious, with a dash of doubt.

Interestingly, I just made a very similar comment responding to a different
poster:

>Lee Berman- Wolfe could have made it crystal clear that it was Severian's race in
>Briah which  created the Hierogrammates and it is Severian that he reveres, but at
>every turn he doesn't, using language which simultaneously provides us a conclusion
>and casts doubt upon it. It could be said that he does this in all his work.
>We are meant to be kept off balance.

We must be careful or risk being accused of being the same person. Stockberm?
David Lee Hoff?  ;- ) nevermind. brunians is gone.

Speaking of SilkHorn, isn't that a prime example of what we are speaking of? We
have a guy who keeps insisting he is Horn, searching for Silk, while everyone
around him keeps saying, "Uh, dude, you are a tall, slender guy with white hair
and a black bird named Oreb on your shoulder".

In that case (like the Dorcas riddle), I think most readers figure it out.
Other Wolfean riddles are more difficult to solve, as we've seen.