(urth) Hierogrammates, Briah and Yesod

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 11 10:29:42 PDT 2010

>Tony Ellis: But if you think I’m ignoring passages you've posted that contradict 'the ship goes
>back in time to get to Yesod', you’re going to have to tell me which ones.

In Yesod, Severian speaks to Tzadkiel who tells him,

>"..I am as I am, your own race having made us so before the apocatasatis. Were you not told
that they had shaped us in their image?"

Later Severian wonders why Tzadkiel disguised himself so he could hang out with Severian on the
ship. Tzadkiel explains that if Severian had had a childhood hero, it would be only natural, if
given the chance to want to:

"walk with him, ..Stand beside him when he was in danger..Care for him, perhaps, when he was ill."

I find it difficult to see how Severian's race could have created Tzadkiel's race if the Ship took
Severian backward in time before humanity even existed. Much twisting and contortions needed.

Perhaps Apheta was mistaken or misunderstood in her contradictory words. Perhaps that is true of
Tzadkiel's words. Perhaps we, as human beings are not even capable of understanding the thoughts of
these superior beings.

Either way, I find it rather hasty to read one passage, ignore others and come to conclusions which
exclude all other conclusions.  I certainly don't exclude yours.