(urth) Time Structures on Urth

Ryan Dunn ryan at liftingfaces.com
Wed Aug 11 10:16:09 PDT 2010

On Aug 11, 2010, at 1:03 PM, Jeff Wilson wrote:

> The jungle hut can't work the same way as the Last House, because the Last House's upper floors look out onto the future many chiliads later than the era the "ground floor" opens onto. Robert is seen looking down from the hut at the ground and clearly sees Severian and Agia approaching in real time, and freaks out. The airplane in the sky is anachronistic, but still fits in with the jungle hut as a whole since Marie mentions the landing strip is three days away by overland travel. There might be time travel involved on the part of the Botanic Gardens over all, but I see no evidence the hut itself is special.

Furthermore, the entire Botanic seems to work off the mirrors causing the time changes. Time is slower in some rooms, and faster in others, but the mirrors are always present, bending things in ways Severian can't understand.

Botanic Gardens seem to relate to Sorcerer's House though, given the disproportionate sizes from inside and out.

Anyone read Danielewski's "House of Leaves"? It does a similar thing, though there is a definite psychological parallel to the house's behavior, and the narrator's.

...ryan