(urth) Time Structures on Urth

Ryan Dunn ryan at liftingfaces.com
Wed Aug 11 09:11:40 PDT 2010

On Aug 11, 2010, at 8:27 AM, Lee Berman wrote:

> I posted this theory a few years in the past but, at Dan'l's request I'm
> trotting it out again now. It seems like an appropriate time. We get a very
> nice tour of the Last House and how it works. I think there are other, similar,
> structures to be found in BotNS.
>
> At the end of CotA, Severian is flying around the Citadel but unable to find
> Valeria's tower. He is only able to find it by retracing his steps through the
> catacombs to the Atrium of Time. This seems a parallel to when Severian tries
> to take a shortcut to Last House but can't find it until he follows the correct
> path.
>
> So I assume that the top of Valeria's tower, like the top of Last House,
> exists in Severian's future which is why he cannot find either. Valeria is said
> to be old fashioned and antiquely dressed. She lives in the lower levels of her
> tower. I deduce that her tower (and perhaps other towers around the Atrium of Time)
> is a time structure with lower levels in the past. From Severian's perspective,
> the Last House does not have any lower levels.
>
> From the comparison of these two structures I think we can find others which share
> the features of a labyrinthine entrance path to a vertical structure which transports
> people to a different time. I think the clearest example is the Jungle Hut. I think
> Robert, Marie and Isangoma are meant to be shown as on Earth and not Urth. Since
> Severian and Agia have to ascend to get there I think it shows that Earth, in some way,
> is the future of Urth.

What happens if you jump out of the window of a tower in the Atrium of Time or the Last House?

In the Botanic Gardens, the sand garden has a similar effect, but there is no structure.

Finally, what did you make of Valeria's remark that they put the broken clock portal in the courtyard as a sort of "sign" for the Atrium of Time, where Severian assumed that the locale was named after the clock but had it wrong?

...ryan