(urth) Brook Madregot runs between

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Wed Aug 11 05:45:25 PDT 2010

From: "Jerry Friedman" <jerry_friedman at yahoo.com>

> I find it very hard to see how Severian, in Yesod, could be at a time
> before the
> people he knew were born, if Yesod is later in time than Briah.  As people
> have
> pointed out.

I don;t think time is necessarily commensurable across universes.  That is,
I think the question of whether an event in Yesod preceeds or succeeds an
event in Briah has no meaningful answer.  (For the history of an individual
passing between them it may have an answer, but the answer could be
different for other individuals.)

> Earth is very much like Urth.  Few of us would have thought Urth was a
> subsequent universe rather than our future if Wolfe hadn't said so outside
> the
> book.  Yesod seems like a totally different place, far more different that
> the
> existence of Jesus could explain, from what I can see at Google Books and
> Amazon.  But I can't prove anything from what I can see.

I agree.  I see no real reason to think of Urth as anything other than our
future.  Note that in the _Book of the Long Sun_ Silk sees a vision of Jesus
on Palm Sunday, the name Allah also appears, as does a distorted version of
the Adam and Eve story.  Not to mention the Apollo landing images etc. Sure,
those informationss *could* come from different universes, but I see no
strong reason to think so.

- Gerry Quinn