(urth) Vodalus & the Old Autarch

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Aug 11 00:03:04 PDT 2010

On 8/10/2010 11:52 AM, DAVID STOCKHOFF wrote:
> Possibly. And yet autarchal profiles figure prominently in the story (as
> do counterfeits). They can't be quite as poor as the Romans'. I actually
> took that observation to mean that the true and counterfeit coins had
> the same origin (different materials?). Did the Autarch fund Vodalus
> with false coins?
>
> I was thinking of when Sev meets Inire (cowled) looking for the Green
> Room in the House. Thecla would have been disoriented meeting him later,
> certainly.

I notice that in that scene (CLAW XXI) Thecla's imprint only belatedly
recognizes the Autarch herself, after several minutes of conversation
even after getting a direct face-to-face look at him, so Vodalus'
failure to recognize him is not unique.

And yes, I do believe that bent little man is Inire. I don't see any
need or ability for him to be Rudesind, who apparently is so tall that
he makes his stepladder look like a stool when he sits atop it.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >