(urth) Hierogrammates, Briah and Yesod

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Aug 11 00:20:30 PDT 2010

On 8/10/2010 1:41 PM, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Tony Ellis
> <tonyellis69 at btopenworld.com>  wrote:
>
>> In chapter XXII of UotNS, when Severian is in Yesod, he says: "They
>> were people I'd known... Thecla, Agilus, Casdoe... Perhaps they're all
>> dead now, all ghosts, though I didn't know it."
>> Apheta corrects him: "They are unborn. Surely you know that time runs
>> backward when the ship sails swiftly. I told you myself. They are
>> unborn, as you are."
>
> H'mmmm.
>
> This seems to imply that Briah and Yesod share a common timeline, and
> that Yesod is either before or simultaneous with Briah (so that one
> moment in Yesod can be meaningfully prior to another in Briah). Which
> pretty much kills Yesod as our Universe...
>
> So we have two possibilities. (1) Yesod is entirely prior to Briah, or
> (b) Yesod is contemporary with Briah, and is in some way descended
> from a previous Briah-like Universe.

They only have to be narratively parallel, not literally. Later on
Severian refers to leaving Yesod as leaving eternity, and I believe that
he means it in the strict sense of a condition that is not subject to
the passage of time.  The unborn business can be explained by the Ship's
backward travel in time as a consequence of its FTL, so that the
wormhole into Yesod connects to Briah at a very early time in Urth's
cycle, almost certainly before Urth herself has formed.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >