(urth) Hierogrammates, Briah and Yesod

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Aug 10 09:42:54 PDT 2010

A universe's limits are definitely temporal. At very least, as you approach any theoretical physical edge, I'd expect a sharp curve in time, not space. I'm not sure how this would manifest itself. But...

When we look deep into the universe, we see the deep past rushing at us at the speed of light. If we were to move into that past at near-lightspeeds, we might experience an FTL rush into the future, like two cars speeding past one another at twice the speed of either one by itself. This might be what Severian sees ahead. I don't think it's the birth of Briah, but the death, because by the time you get to the edge of the universe, the past (birth) is long gone and so is the edge.

The death of Briah, therefore, is a portal into Yesod created by going very fast. This suggests that Yesod lies "ahead." Abaddon would then lie "behind."

You would get into Briah from Yesod, and into Abaddon from Briah, by moving into the past. This is unimaginable, but then there are people who live backwards in time (even though they speak forwards), perhaps because they are from a universe that runs backwards. (Don't ask.) Or because they are outside time and can choose.

Therefore, the universes may be arranged so that the overall future is beyond Yesod, but all coexist from an atemporal perspective (you can get to X from Y any time---it's never gone, even branches).

I am beginning to think that the Hieros are indeed our future and that their creators were the future Us, not a past race in a past universe. Thus, all Hieros and all white energy come from this future, moving backwards through time to reach us. Since this means no other universes or iterations are necessary, the whole rerunning of Briah theory (as opposed to merely intervening on Urth again and again) can be dispensed with. It's simpler.

Does this make sense?