(urth) Boatman as Inire

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Mon Aug 9 08:02:47 PDT 2010

  From: John Watkins

  There is also a trope of the "good" fallen angel--a higher being whose sin, as it were, is caring too much about the lowly humans it is charged with overseeing.  Captain Kirk's willy-nilly disregard of Prime Directive comes to mind, as does the Doctor and Uatu the Watcher (oh, and Zauriel...and arguably the Green Lantern...the Silver Surfer...I could go on, although I'm hesistant in ascribing comic book inspiration to Wolfe unless there's a specific connection to look to.)

Wolfe is not above considerations of 'pulp' sensibilities, which are perhaps similar to those of comic books, Star Trek, etc.  See 'The Last Thrilling Wonder Story', for example.

- Gerry Quinn
.