(urth) Sham War

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 9 07:11:34 PDT 2010

>James Wynn- Seeing what North Korea has become, knowing what the Soviet
>Union was like and what happened 25 years later under Mao, I'm not so
>sure _I_ feel this way and I have far less skin invested in that war
>than Mr. Wolfe.

You miss my point. I would guess that, as a participant, Gene Wolfe would
care very deeply about who won the Korean and Cold Wars. The question is,
who did God want to win?

Surely the Cold War stalemate and Korean division that dominated most of
Gene Wolfe's life would be disturbing to him. If ever there was a war God would
play favorites on it would be the war against the godless Communists. Yet
they were not vanquished (esp. circa BotNS writing).

Perhaps this helped inspire him to create a story in which war has a higher
purpose than the simple human illusion of good triumphing over evil.

Regarding Hierogrammates, you say-

>The war continued only because it was a minor annoyance to them (at least), or *it
>served their purpose in some way*.

I would agree, especially with the latter possibility.