(urth) Boatman as Inire

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon Aug 9 01:45:04 PDT 2010

On 8/9/2010 1:55 AM, Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> Come on. That exchange took place in Apu-Punchau's tomb *after* Severian had
> brought the new sun and Ushas was an established fact. The game was over;
> there was no longer any point in deceptions.

Was there a point in resurrecting him in the first place?

> I can't help that. The text is what it is. As I've said before, not all
> Hierodules need be of the same species or race; a holy slave is more a title
> than a particular species.

Indeed.

And even if they are of the same stock, they may have their own
imperfect forms of artificial longevity, so that bent and twisted Inire
and Cumaean is what's left after beautiful Famulimus and
Barbatus-cohorts have been kept under maintenance for centuries past
their expiration dates.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >