(urth) Boatman as Inire

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 8 20:31:52 PDT 2010

>Ryan Dunn: who might Gunnie/Burgundafora point back to? Anyone?

Do you have someone in mind?

My best thought would be Agia.  She also was a female companion who
betrayed Severian. But they seem so different. Burgundofora meant
well but she lacked character and bravery. Agia was oozing with
character and bravery but she meant ill.

>Roy C. Lackey- the evolution of the Hierogrammates outlined in "The Key
>to the Universe" chapter in CITADEL. On the Ship, Severian was shown some of
>the stages of unnatural selection imposed by the Hieros on some lowly
>creature that eventually resulted in Tzadkiel's kind.

I think this is a very reasonable and plausible explanation of Zak's
evolution. But perhaps not complete. Maybe more meaning can be derived.

What would happen if a Hierogrammate were interupted in its evolution and
did not complete the journey to angelic being? We are told the process
involved uncountable billions suffering and dying, leaving ineradicable
memories of pain and blood. Would it be so surprising that some of those
billions rebelled and refused to complete the process? Where might such an
interupted, fallen being go?

Roy if I remember correctly you place a lot of stock in this exchange:

>Severian- "...the Cumaean, she was a Hierodule, like you. Father Inire told
>me."

>Famulimus and Barbatus nodded.

I can't remember if I've mentioned my reservations. This exchange could mean that
yes, Father Inire and The Cumaean are hierodules. Simple. End of story.

But I consider that perhaps Famulimus and Barbatus' nods only concur that this is
what Father Inire tells his Autarchs.

We find no explanation for why Hierodules are tall, young, beautiful people who
speak gravely, move gracefully and speak with utmost respect for Severian.
Contrast them with The Cumaean and Inire who are short, old, ugly creepy people
who speak harshly or a bit insouciantly to Severian (if we may take Inire's note as
speech).

I demand an explanation for the difference. And a very helpful one has been to
consider that Inire and Cumaean are not really Hierodules but something else,
rather different. I just can't see Barbatus and Famulimus scaring little girls
with mirrors, mucking around with Agia, consorting with witches or inviting people
into their cave, never to return. I can't help but think there is something wrong
with the Hierodule picture for I and C.