(urth) Boatman as Inire

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 13:19:30 PDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Gerry Quinn <gerryq at indigo.ie> wrote:

> Maybe Severian has time travelling sperm, and is his own grandfather ;-)
>
> - Gerry Quinn

Presumably Tzadkiel could take the form of one of a spermatozoon, maybe even
one carrying Severian's DNA (assuming Tzadkiel can control his shapeshifting
on the molecular level.  If Tzadkiel can do this, so can Inire.  And the
Cumaean probably can too, although being female maybe she chooses to take
the form of one of Dorcas's eggs.  Or one of Catherine's.

So I assume that, via shapeshifting and time travel, we now have the source
of the terms "Father" for Inire and "Mother" for the Cumaean.