(urth) Boatman as Inire

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 7 04:35:41 PDT 2010

>John Watkins: The thing that's great about this list is that those are really good
>questions that I wouldn't have asked if it weren't for you pointed out the
>connection.

John, aside from the "Dammit, Lee" that was my favorite part of your last post. It
has happened for me quite a number of times. Suggestions from people with theories
I don't agree with are often what inspires me to the best refinements of my own theory.

>It isn't established that Inire is the son of Erebus or has any such connection at all,
>or that he has any connection with Charon.  Instead, in the last few weeks we've
>developed a somewhat logical connection between Fenrir and Inire.

I like the Fenrir discussion.  The tie to Gyoll is nice. But, as someone pointed out, it
relies on an anagram, which is not very Wolfean. But I don't mean to step on it, if there
is more productivity to come from it.

For me another recent discovery is far more compelling.That being that "inire" is the source
word for Inuus, the copulatory epithet for the god Faunus/Pan. The Latin origin of "Inire"
ties nicely with the names of some other, related characters, Cumaean, Famulimus and Barbatus
This consistency in naming does seem Wolfean. (I see these characters as related though two
are fallen and ugly and two are unfallen and beautiful).

The connection between Faunus and his copulatory habits with animals seems like it could be
related on a number of different levels with regard to Father Inire and various characters and
creatures in this story. Moreover I can't help but like the connection between Faunus/Pan and
the Long Sun.