(urth) Severian's sister/ancestry - query.

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Thu Aug 5 20:45:13 PDT 2010

On 8/5/2010 8:16 PM, Jane Delawney wrote:
> So ... why on Urth, with the power and authority invested in him as
> Autarch, does Severian not require access to the records of the Seekers
> of Truth and Penitence, and thus learn beyond any doubt just who are his
> parents, his grandparents, and his sister? The flip answer is of course
> 'because GW does not want us to know', but I hope for more than that.
> Sev could have asked, and he would have been obeyed. He doesn't ask.

I believe he does open the records, which is how he knows his mother's
name and hair color, which Ouen confirms, and that he does it almost
immediately upon his ascension, before Dorcas can get over her grief of
the boatman and flee their house in the ruins.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >