(urth) seeking the truth (was: Re: Torturers?)

Jane Delawney jane_delawney at sky.com
Thu Aug 5 17:37:43 PDT 2010

On 05/08/10 02:19, James Wynn wrote:

> I presumed it was only apprentices who were taught to ignore victims
> words. Master tortures are those assigned to seeking truth.

I don't think this can be quite accurate since in the context of
Severian pretending to have forgotten the rule about 'clients' ' words,
Master Gurloes reminds him of the 'bad old days' when journeymen of the
Guild were deafened (possibly as a part of the ritual of elevation) -
precisely, one is given to suppose, in order that they should not attend
to anything said by the 'client'. The implication is that the condition
is permanent, and so a deaf journeyman will make a deaf Master, who will
not consequently be in a position to act as interrogator.

Also I am sure there is a place in the early chapters of *Shadow* which
mentions the possible presence at an 'excruciation' of a judicial
official (what was the term? I'm sure it wasn't 'inquisitor' - far too
obvious!- but none the less it was fairly clear that the person's role
involved interrogation; I can't find the place right now but I'm sure
someone will remember it) who appears to be tasked with the
interrogation of the accused.

As someone else said, the Guild's purpose at Severian's time involves
judicial punishment and nothing else. The do not determine sentences,
they do not question them, they are not interrogators; they just do what
the courts require them to do.

In fact - it has to be said - they are 'just obeying orders'. One of the
notable things Severian does during his odyssey is break free of the
early conditioning that has brought so many of his 'brothers' to accept
what they do and continue on the path of the torturer.

jd