(urth) Lamarck, Wolfe and Exultants

Lane Haygood lhaygood at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 08:38:27 PDT 2010

Lamarckism is making a comeback in the pseudoscience of evolutionary
psychology.

It's still just as much crap as Lamarckism is, but the spectre of
heritable acquired traits just will not die from the popular
consciousness, probably because the ideas of "corruption of blood" and
the "sins of the father" are so prevalent within our mythologies.  It
breaks down along the same inscrutable fault lines as the "nature
versus nurture" debate about how we, and other organisms, learn our
behavior.  How much is instinct?  How much is conditioned?

As best I can tell, the answer is "a mix of both" in unknown ratios
because the kinds of experiments needed to falsify a Lamarckian
hypothesis are deeply, deeply unethical.  The way one feels toward
evolutionary psychology (and related doctrines) tends to have more to
do with how one feels about a range of philosophical issues, from
one's stance on the mind, to the metaphysics of souls, to base
factionalism.  So I recognize my own rejection of it as calumny
reflects my own particular biases against such concepts as "human
nature," a materialist account of consciousness, or phenotypic
properties being causally-linked to genetic properties.

But I think I have darn good reasons to find such concepts
objectionable, so via the transitive property of bad ideas, modern
Lamarckisms are vile calumny.

LH