(urth) Torturers?

Dave Lebling dlebling at hyraxes.com
Wed Aug 4 16:57:04 PDT 2010

It is specifically stated that torture in the Commonwealth is a
punishment, not a means of obtaining truth. The Guild performs exactly
the tortures ordered, and the torturers are taught to completely ignore
anything their victims say. Severian is chided for listening to a victim
at one point during his apprenticeship.

Torturers in our time may ostensibly be in search of truth, but the
Guild is inflicting judicial punishment.

-- Dave Lebling, aka vizcacha